I’m so into the embellished luxury skater shoe lately. I’ve been really noticing the trend lately of luxury designers creating really casual distressed skate shoes like Gucci, Saint Laurent, Givenchy and the Lululemon staple on the website photos – Common Projects. I’ve also noticed the Louis Vuitton and Chanel versions which are way more embellished and glamorously tacky. The ones I liked where the more casual high-low look. This is such an extension of the athleisure trend, but actually, it’s a different trend altogether since it’s not at all a sports shoe, but more of a streetwear casual look, so it’s a niche trend I guess.  I’ve been doing some research on brands and ended up buying a pair on the resale market a few weeks ago. This was actually two-part research because I was also really interested in making a small ‘luxury’ purchase on a particular site that authenticates in order to review the process for a blog post. That post will be coming soon.

In my luxury sneaker search, I kept seeing Golden Goose sneakers pop up. I was so intrigued by this Italian brand (and made in Italy) because not only are the shoes not an obvious luxury brand with recognizable logos everywhere, it was a subtle ‘if you are in the know, you know’ type of branding, and it’s a cult label in the fashion world. My favorite thing about these shoes is that they are a very low profile on the ankle, and they have a hidden elevated heel. I find them so flattering on the leg and ankle and feminine with cropped jeans or shorts because of this.  I think they will be so versatile being able to wear these with shorts, crops, skirts, jeans or leggings 0r even dressed up with black pants.  The entire shoe including the insole is made of really high-quality leather, so you can easily wear these sockless without getting nasty smelling feet. The top of the inside of the shoe is lined with this really nice thin terry cloth and it feels really nice if you aren’t wearing socks. I think I’ll really appreciate that added touch in the summer. I’ve had my shoes for two weeks now and I wear them everywhere. I love them so much. I love how blingy they are and that although they are an ultra-casual shoe, they aren’t norm-core like the Common Projects are but more feminine and pretty like a ballerina flat would be. Except, of course, much more sporty than a ballet flat.

I love that they are distressed ‘just so’ so that I don’t have to be precious about wearing them or have anxiety about scuffing them up. The distressing was also a great feature because I purchased mine resale so I didn’t have to anguish over how perfect or imperfect they would be, nor did I pay anywhere near full price for them. The detailing on them are all so different and thoughtful. I especially love the ones I’ve seen with leopard print heel cups and star details, or the pink glitter ones on the Nordstrom website right now (shown below).

Interestingly, after I purchased my pair I went to Nordstrom yesterday and as of a week ago, the Nordstrom near me now carries this brand. I was able to try on all the colors I saw online and try on the size up. I’m a size 9 and my European size is typically size 39.9. These shoes don’t come in half sizes so I got mine in a 39 and at first, they seemed a touch snug in the toe area. They’ve since worn in perfectly but I wanted to try on the size 40 in store. The 40’s felt a touch big but not ‘too big’ so if another color/style pops up for a killer deal, I would go with either a 39 or a 40. Another thing I noticed at the store yesterday is that there are some near perfect dupes by other brands at a lower price point. The leopard print ones I’ve shown below are the ones I really loved and would absolutely purchase.

I’m all about wearing Adidas Stan Smiths for more polished sporty outfits, but what I was searching for was a proper fashion shoe/sneaker hybrid. I also wondered if they were worth their price at all when you could get that laid back, fashiony look by wearing black and white Adidas Stan Smith or Vans Old Skool, or Nike Roshe or Cortez.  I think if you already find luxury shoes a worthy purchase then you will appreciate the craftsmanship in these shoes and the fit details. If luxury shoes aren’t for you and you don’t like spending a lot of money on shoes then there are some really great alternatives that give you the exact same look as Golden Goose and you don’t have to commit to something that may be a short-lived trend. Personally, I love luxury shoes but have always reserved that type of purchase for really dressy special occasion shoes. I think it makes more sense to spend that money on a shoe you will wear daily and in a multitude of outfits and that fits your everyday lifestyle vs getting something you will only get to enjoy once in a while.

What are your thoughts on luxury shoes? Do you prefer to spend that higher price point on things that don’t get trashed like handbags or jewelry, or are you into it? What about luxury sneakers?

Golden Goose Deluxe Brand

Golden Goose Deluxe Brand

I loved both of these pairs I tried on. I really gravitated to the leopard print but I think the pink glitter ones are most flattering.

Golden Goose Deluxe Brand Golden Goose Deluxe Brand Golden Goose Deluxe Brand Golden Goose Deluxe Brand Golden Goose Deluxe Brand Golden Goose Deluxe Brand

Buy Golden Goose Deluxe Brand Here:

Get The Same Look For Less:

Other Luxury Sneakers:

1. Paula
    February 16, 2018 / 12:55 pm

I love golden goose! I have a pair that I wear with everything. You can wear them with something dressed up to make it more cool and casual. I will have to disagree about the Stan smiths, though. Those are definitely on their way out according to my very cool sources, ( as in they visibly shuddered lol) and they read as much more casual than golden goose. Fashion icons wear these to look edgy as compared to adidas which are on every fifth grader out there. You look awesome in yours, and you will be hooked once you try wearing them with unconventional outfits! Enjoy your sneakers!

• Cristina
      Author
      February 16, 2018 / 1:09 pm

I’m glad to hear you have a pair too and love them. I’m definitely addicted to them and would love another brand new pair at some point (maybe my upcoming birthday?).
      Interesting about the Stan Smiths. I had heard that but I’m still seeing them everywhere. The hint to me should be that my 9 year old desperately wants a pair. lol!
      The sneakers that had set me off on this rabbit hole search was an interview I saw of Bobbi Brown and she was wearing a really beautiful pair of sneakers with a contrasting black strap. It was so casual and cool yet really put together. I’m pretty sure they are the Givenchy ones I listed in the gallery at the bottom, but once I discovered the Golden Goose I was way more interested in those.

2. Mo
    February 16, 2018 / 1:01 pm

Maybe it’s the lightning but those shoes look like worn out, super trashed Keds or something circa 1999. Vomit. Seriously they look like a bad thrift store find. Those gold laces photograph as dingy.

The shoes look better in other colors. But white shoes always scream AMERICAN TOURIST to me.

• Cristina
      Author
      February 16, 2018 / 1:06 pm

I was limited in my options on the resale site for the price point I wanted to pay for my first sample pair. They aren’t my top pick for color but I do like them and I’ll get to see how they wear in over time, and how they react to the inclement weather. I love both of the ones I tried on at Nordstrom. Overall, white shoes are definitely the look I was going for but I don’t think I want the contrasted tongue on them.

• JJ
      February 18, 2018 / 6:32 pm

I have to agree with you on the distressed look. The shoes are so cute but then the distressing kills it for me. Just my personal opinion but I enjoy wearing a fresh pair of clean sneakers and hate getting my shoes scuffed. I’m not sure how long it will last but it seems like it’s been a trend lately to dress like a homeless person. For example rips and holes in what would normally be a dressy sweater. I do enjoy distressing on certain items to an extent but I don’t think this is a trend I could ever get into. I tend to gravitate to more classic/dressy casual clothing items in general though so maybe that’s why. The shoes and colors are cute though and sounds like the quality is top notch. I just would like them without the grimy look.

• Paula
        February 20, 2018 / 1:50 pm

You can get them with little to no distressing too. That’s what I have. Minimal distress.

3. Mrs. O
    February 16, 2018 / 3:07 pm

I agree; there is definitely a new trend of luxury casual, semi-sporty shoe. I’ve been seeing them everywhere in LA and have been going down rabbit holes like you! I’m going to have to check and see if my Nordstrom carries Golden Goose to try on. I may have to try and find a pair on the resale market to test them out, if I like the full priced ones.

In the past, I have spend thousands of dollars on handbags, dress shoes and watches. Now that I’m not working in an office, I don’t have a need to purchase them. So, now my focus is on luxury casual wear, tennies, casual shoes and of course, Lululemon.

I have no problem coveting luxury items and occasionally splurging on some! LOL. This is when I wish I had my office job so I’d have more disposable income. 🙂 But when I really think about it, I’m loving my current life and ability to focus on health, fitness and fashion.

4. j
    February 17, 2018 / 5:36 am

I’m happy that you love them 🙂
    Not a fan myself.

5. Liz
    February 17, 2018 / 7:33 am

I got the Gucci ones and love them. Wore them a ton on a recent trip to New York (in the summer) with dresses at night. So perfect especially in New York where you may not want to wear strappy summer sandals on the subway etc.

6. Danielle
    February 17, 2018 / 8:21 am

I love Golden Goose sneakers. I have been eyeing them for a few years now. My favorites on you are the pink and leopard. Being more classic/minimalist in style, I actually like the leopard best. My local stores have carried them for a few years. I haven’t bought them because of their price, but I always think about it!! For reference, I am a solid 38.5. I need the 9 in these.

7. Shadowy_lady
    February 17, 2018 / 10:42 am

I like luxury shoes and own a few pairs ( I have 3 pairs of Stuart Weitzman boots, 2 pairs of Manolo heels and a pair of Miu Miu’s). But I will not spend that money on sneaks. I’m just not a casually dressed type of person. I like dresses, fur coats, heels, big hair, lots of makeup,…I don’t like t’s, sweat shirts, baggy stuff, distressing,…I hardly ever wear jeans.

The only sneaker I wear outside the gym are Adidas Gazelle’s in classic white with black stripes. I wear them when the snow melts during the weekends or when I travel. They are the only sneaks i find feminin enough for me. They are also comfy enough to walk all day on cobble stone in Europe (have owned mine for 4 years).

8. Rise and Shine
    February 17, 2018 / 11:07 am

They’re pretty cool, but I can’t bring myself to spend so much on distressed skate shoes.

• Rise and Shine
      February 17, 2018 / 11:43 am

Sorry – I should note that I work in an office, and can’t wear them to work. If I could wear them daily, I’d be pretty tempted, at least at resale prices.

9. Lizzie
    February 18, 2018 / 4:32 am

I feel the same way about distressed shoes as I feel about distressed jeans: ugly. I have no desire to buy anything that looks like it’s ready to be trashed, no matter the price point.

10. Anon
    February 18, 2018 / 5:59 am

I own 7 pairs of GG …. been collecting them for 2 years now. I live in sneakers. They are so comfortable. They go with everything casual. I haven’t branched out to other brands yet.

11. LS
    February 18, 2018 / 8:34 pm

I have a ton of luxury shoes, but GG are like a bad practical joke. The distressing doesn’t even make sense – can’t say I’ve ever worn a pair of shoes to the extent that the front of the toes were scuffed.

12. Carmen
    February 19, 2018 / 8:13 am

Is it just me or do “luxury” sneakers seem absolutely ridiculous?! I am stunned that people would pay $600 plus for a casual shoe, especially ones that look like they they have been sitting in the corner of someone’s garage for decades. To each his own, I guess!

• Lizzie
      February 19, 2018 / 9:11 am

You are right, Carmen! The shoes look like the ones that are too trashed to wear in public any more so have been demoted to my lawn mowing shoes.

But as you say, to each her own.

• Cristina
        Author
        February 19, 2018 / 9:19 am

😂 lawn mowing shoes!

13. Joanna
    February 19, 2018 / 12:37 pm

I don’t get this trend. I can perfectly distress my shoes myself lol!

February 19, 2018 / 7:23 pm

My perspective on luxury items changed when I lost my dad who was pretty much a male fashionista. I had to go through all his stuff, high end suits, shoes, ties, etc; most of which he never even wore because he had so many. It was then that I saw how pointless all the “stuff” was because people at the funeral kept telling me what a great guy he was, because he was there for them in a time of need. Not a single person mentioned his great fashion sense or remembered him for that. Anyway, I guess what I’m saying is that if designer stuff brings you joy, and you can afford it, then by all means enjoy them, but if you’re buying stuff to be “in” or impress others, nobody who knows and loves you will really even notice or care. Sorry for that off topic rant, just felt like adding a different perspective to the mix.

• Rise and Shine
      February 20, 2018 / 4:41 am

Thank you for sharing your story. I’ve been feeling like I buy too much stuff, and this story really resonated with me.

• anon
        February 22, 2018 / 4:24 pm

For me as well. Thank you Anon 7:23

15. Anon
    February 20, 2018 / 6:56 am

Agree with others, myself no need for a luxury sneaker (and I too no longer work in an office and actually could wear them where I work now) and could never see my way to those prices.

OT – more on the Potdevin story. Anonymous insiders finally talk. Toxic, extremely unprofessional work environment (that’s actually an understatment). Juicy details including why Holman left (also in a relationship at LLL), LP partying lifestyle & favoritism. The gf who was only a “contractor” had far too much involvement where she ought not. And the changes to the website much hated by customers? Now you know.