So this year my seawheeze writeup is from the perspective of someone NOT running, that did NOT lineup overnight for the showcase store and just wandered in sometime around noon to see what product was left after all the runners had made their purchases, and to see what the lineup was like. If you’d like to see what product was available at the Seawheeze 2017 Showcase store, click the link to see the preview.

As I said, I wandered in to downtown at noon today with both of my kids and came in with low expectations of being able to find anything at all, or that my kids would be patient enough to wait in a line with me. I had been watching online the past few days and sadly the showcase store lineup started at 8am on Wednesday morning, a full 48 hours before it opened. The much hyped and anticipated reflective items where so limited that Lululemon only made 600 pieces of them, and had a 3 item limit per shopper. That is 200 items available (no guarantee of your sizing) for 10,000 runners, plus the public shoppers. Not surprisingly the items where gone in 25 minutes (mostly to aggressive resellers and angels) and even if you had waited in line since Wednesday morning you probably missed out.

I put the blame of that squarely on Lululemon. They knew these would be hot sellers, and they made them in seriously limited quantity. Had they made 5000 pieces of these, they still would have sold out. If they’d make this design for the general uploads, they would sell out. Lululemon has the ability and creativity to make these fun and exciting designs that we’ve all been begging for, but they withhold them in favour of the drab monochrome items we’ve been seeing all year.

As you can see in this first picture here, Lululemon had a display of the reflective items where people had to lineup to get their limit of three items. Lululemon also did not allow the hoarding of piles on the floor this year so you had to sort your items quickly and give back what you didn’t want. This was a great proactive move by Lululemon and I’m hearing that the volunteers and eds where so on top of redistributing clothing. There where still pile hoarders but Lululemon handled them as best they could. The overall shopping limit was 10 items per person, but resellers chose to spin that as 10 items per check-out.

Enough of that though. I would have been remise not to report everything I could about this event, including the negative,  but now I want to focus on the great stuff I found, because there was a lot. I was really curious to experience the showcase store as someone who would not have lined up, or had very specific shopping list items so I’m really glad I did it this way this year, and got to bring my girls with me.
I was really surprised that by the time I got to the store there was a 5 minute lineup to get in, and plenty of ‘good’ product available that you could at least find one treasured item. I found plenty, and I put stuff back at the now empty display which was being used as a trade in station. I first saw the Tofino Shell Gather Me Lightly Jacket in a size up for me, and it was the only one so I grabbed it. 20 minutes later I was able to swap it for my correct size. The black/white printed version of the jacket where plentiful and although it was not my first pick between the two, I ended up liking that one the best.

These are the items I ended up purchasing. I really shouldn’t have purchased two jackets, but I couldn’t choose in store and thought I’d decide at home. I really like them both though so I think I’m going to keep them. The Swiftly was also a maybe since it’s sort of plain, but I LOVE the color on. Such a pretty sky blue.

The wildcard for me in this pile are the Speed Tights. I didn’t love this print at first but most of the eds working were wearing these and they where so pretty on, very flattering and nicely contrasted.  I decided to stalk around for them and it took some work of loitering by the fitting rooms before I found my size. I didn’t try them on until I got home and when I did I fell absolutely in love with them. These are my favourite purchase.

After this my kids where done with the showcase store so I quickly checked out (5 minute lineup) and headed outside. This was my kids favourite part! They loved the entertainment, especially the racoons on stilts. They also where given bubble wands by an awesome Ed, and my kids blew bubbles for as long as they wanted. Then we wandered the stands and the kids got to pick out some fruit and check out more of the fun entertainers. We where at the showcase area for an hour and a half tops, start to finish and I’m really happy with the hole experience. I’d definitely like to run next year as I’ve done most of the previous years but this just wasn’t a good year for me to sign up. We are in the middle of real estate stuff which has taken up our entire summer and I know I would not have been able to spend this entire weekend enjoying seawheeze festivities. It was great being able to take an afternoon away though and distract myself a bit.

If you are running tomorrow, have a fantastic run!! Soak up every second of it because it is a truly amazing experience. Start hydrating tonight, especially if you where in that crazy lineup. Hydrate with electrolites, eat well, rest!

Seawheeze 2016 Haul

Seawheeze 2016 Recap

Seawheeze 2015 Race Recap

Seawheeze 2014

Seawheeze 2013

1. KSteg
    August 11, 2017 / 5:15 pm

So jealous you always get the gather me slightly. It’s my favorite jacket in the world.

• Cristina
      Author
      August 11, 2017 / 5:40 pm

I got it last year and that was my first time splurging on a jacket at SW – although I really regret not getting the jacket from the year before (downtime?) in the pink with black and white stripes – I was too cheap though and wanted to get more of the cheaper items. Bad call – should have just gotten the one jacket. I typically have gotten CRB’s and Tuck and Flows or crops. Last year I opted to just get the jacket vs. getting a bunch of CRB’s. It’s a pretty nice jacket design and I’ve loved the prints so far.

• KSteg
        August 11, 2017 / 7:36 pm

You guys get real rain in Vancouver but for the never usually rains hard or gets that cold weather in LA it’s the perfect jacket. They always look great on you too.

2. Sarah
    August 11, 2017 / 8:31 pm

How short were the cropped CRBs? Beautiful choices you made

• KK
      August 13, 2017 / 8:45 pm

Different nonnie chiming in on the CRBs. They were cropped A LOT. Hopefully someone who bought one and report on exactly how much but I tried one on because it seemed short and the 4 I had in my hands -immediately- went back on the rack and I bought a jacket instead – it would have driven me crazy to run with something that short and also the straps were more Power-Y style which I didn’t love. Everyone I saw wearing one on race day had at least an inch of belly showing.

• Courtney
        August 14, 2017 / 9:48 am

When my friends and I came back to the Showcase store in the afternoon there were TONS of the CRBs left. I have a very short torso, and even on me they were too short for my liking. It was such a disappointment, because I probably would have bought one in every color if they had been the normal length. The pacers wore them with the Chase Me Crops and there was definitely some skin showing.

• Sarah Gordon
          August 14, 2017 / 2:37 pm

Thanks that helps alot i’m petite with a short torso size 4 so i wondered if they were cropped to show belly or to hit the hips as I usually hem all my tops but these sound too cropped for me.

3. Melissa
    August 11, 2017 / 8:43 pm

lolololllllllllll the cardboard box signs kill me!!

4. Anon
    August 11, 2017 / 10:01 pm

LLM, great score! Really like that first jacket and agree that swiftly color is beautiful. Love your kids too. Your older girl looks just like you.

5. Anon
    August 11, 2017 / 10:03 pm

LLM, great score! Really like that first jacket and agree that swiftly color is beautiful. BTW, your kids are great and your older girl looks just like you.

August 12, 2017 / 5:35 am

What a sweet picture of your girls holding up your purchases with big smiles on their faces as if they were the ones who scored the great pieces.

I so happy and a little jealous that you were able to get your hands on some really nice stuff. I absolutely love the blue Swiftly and hope we will see this or something similar available to the masses in the near future. I too would have been torn between the two jackets. I zoomed in on the pictures as much as I could to get a good look at the prints and I can’t say which I like better and that’s not a bad thing except maybe for your wallet. Seeing that they made the Gather Me Slightly Jacket for this event gives me hope we will see more interesting jackets designs this Fall other than the boxy cropped boring stuff of late. I think you were lucky to get your hands on those Speeds and I love the print and think they look great on you.

Did you happen to see the heathered green and the pink l/s Swiftlies there? What didn’t you buy that was a close contender to what you brought home, if anything?

• Cristina
      Author
      August 12, 2017 / 7:45 am

Thanks! They had so much fun.

I did see the heathered green swiftly with the marled color (green/black/blue) and it was really nice and soft. I actually had it in my size but ended up putting it back. I also had the nulux crops in the same print as my speeds but with a dark blue background, not white. Had they been the white print I would have gone with them but the blue was less versatile. I also saw but not in my size a few of the orangey pink swiftlies. They where really pretty and I opted to not hunt them down because I have an orange swiftly that I really like. This swiftly was way more muted orange than it was pink btw. There were also lots of bras and lots of backpacks. I had my hands on a tofino print bag but I put it back. All of the Cool Racerbacks that I saw where cropped, and I assumed the normal ones where sold out but I later found out they only had cropped CRB’s.

August 12, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Oh the marled green Swiftly sounds so nice. I don’t feel bad about the pink one looking more orange if I am not able to buy it! I agree that the black/white print is more versatile than having the blue background ones. You must really have to amp up the willpower so not to overbuy when you know this product is limited. Since this sea wheeze product is not available to the masses I was wondering what happens to the product that doesn’t sell, if there is any?

Also just to let you know I didn’t see my comment when I came back to this post so I did a second one anon 1:52pm which you can ignore. My original comment didn’t show up until after I posted the second one.

7. Mrs. O
    August 12, 2017 / 7:19 am

Awesome score! I love that you were able to share this experience with your girls. They look so happy to be with their mom and help her find things. I’m so envious you have girls to share these types of shopping trips.

I would have had a hard time deciding which jacket to pick. And, I would have probably kept both. I didn’t think I’d like so much pattern on the speed tights. But they look great on you! The blue swiftly too! Not sue where you put the 4 lbs you said you were up (when you tried on the round trip jacket). Because as far as I can see, you’re looking great and really shapely.

Glad you were able to find great pieces. I think you’re going to find that you’ll be wearing these pieces often.

8. anon
    August 12, 2017 / 1:52 pm

What an adorable picture of your girls. I am so envious of you scoring the light blue Swiftly, I would love to add that colour to my collection. Did you by chance see the heathered green and the pink l/s Swiftlies? I zoomed in as much as I could to see both jacket prints and can’t really say which I like better so I like you would probably have bought both as nice jackets have been scarce. I think you made the right decision on the Speed Tights, they look really good on you. Just wondering were there any close contenders that didn’t make it home with you?

Just to let you know I am having to enter my name and address to post this comment although I have already done this.

9. j
    August 13, 2017 / 5:23 am

The speed tights look great on you!
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and showcase experience.
    Personally, I don’t think that there were any items (aside from the reflective bottoms) this year that were worth standing in line overnight for, let alone over 48 hours. This is one of my least favorite Seawheeze offerings. Unlike in previous years, there is nothing from the showcase that I am willing to pay “ebay prices” for (other than the reflective bottoms , but they are waaaaaaaaayyyy out of my price range on ebay). If I lived in the area and was able to pay actual retail price for Seawheeze gear, there are definitely some items (aside from the reflective gear) that I would be interested in.
    I did purchase pair of the Tofino shells speeds off of ebay for a reasonable “ebay price” last week and can’t wait for them to get here!

• Cristina
      Author
      August 13, 2017 / 10:44 am

Thanks!
      I agree with you completely and was actually talking to Lulu Addict about this. This years SW collection seemed really bare (with the exception of the reflective stuff) and the theme doesn’t seem all that pulled together. I see that they used marimekko as inspiration for the 70’s psychedelic prints but they could have gone so much further with that. I feel like they knew they where light on product so they pulled out the reflective stuff last minute to round it out, which is why there where only 20 pieces for each size. There are definitely nice pieces, I like the items I got, but am so glad I didn’t line up for it. Even two hours would not have been worth it to me this year. SW stuff should be more than just nice, this collection was lacking the iconic stuff. I don’t see the resale prices being that high for the none reflective stuff at all.

10. Joanna
    August 14, 2017 / 11:38 am

I lined up and got the reflective pants I wanted. It was worth it to me, but I understand how it could not be to others. To each their own. I was so happy to see measures put in place to stop excessive pile hoarding – I had emailed SW about it previous, as did a bunch of other people I know, and they assured me that they were putting measures in place; and they did. Well done SW! I 100% agree that they should have made more reflective pieces. I am not totally sure why they didn’t. Marketing scheme? I don’t know.

11. Looloo
    August 14, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Love your girls….so cute! That baby blue swiftly is such a nice colour. Congrats on what you scored. I too dread standing in line for hours. Ugghh. I would rather pay a premium for an item than stand in line. I typically have paid 120 for sw speed shorts. Worth it to me. But i definetly wont pay $300 or more for reflective shorts. Who knows maybe lulu will upload some reflectives like they did in australia the one year. I agree…other than the reflectives nothing was spectacular. The lava lamp speed wunders were cute….but thats about it. It seems like people went crazy for lab tights. Personally i thought they looked just like another black pair of tights with mesh. But to each their own. Heres to waiting for 2018 sw. I like the september date…works well for me and probably a bit cooler too!