I hope you don’t mind a bit more of a glamour edit post vs. my typical sweat edit posts. Although I live and love my athleisure wear, I also really love fashion and beauty as you know and I’ve been wanting to add more content that reflects all aspects of my fashion interests. Since we are going into holiday party and gala season, maybe this post will be helpful to you getting your mind into what to wear to a black tie event, or simply window shopping as I’ve done for many years. In fact, my favorite window shopping post recently was this one featuring sequined Louboutin Moulamax Boots which I will never buy, but am enjoying looking at.

This past month I had a very (VERY) rare opportunity to splurge on a special pair of shoes and dress for a gala event my husband and I were invited to. My husband and I were invited to go to the 30th Anniversary David Foster Miracle Gala and Concert. The gala is an evening devoted to raising awareness and raising money to support children and their families in need of life-saving organ transplants in Canada. While the medical needs are always covered in Canada, the financial burden of travel, time off work, and the emotional burden of separating siblings and parents during this difficult time is often not recognized or supported. The David Foster foundation supports keeping families together and eases the financial burden for parents needing to take time off work to care for their sick child. It was shocking to learn that over 80% of families going through this ordeal end up either bankrupt or divorced. The cratering effect of a medical crisis like this was not something I fully appreciated until this evening. This years gala raised a record-breaking 10.2 million dollars.  Oprah Winfrey donated 2 million, as did Steven Tyler, Jimmy Pattison and several other celebrities and performers that were present, and local business owners. It was amazing to see the generosity at the local level, and amazing that non-Canadian celebrities where so generous in their donations for a Canadian cause.

On to the more frivolous aspect of this post, the outfit shopping! For this occasion, my husband very kindly offered to infuse my budget so that I could splurge on something really special. We’ve been to many black tie events before but they are rarely truly black tie and often lean towards the very casual end of cocktail dresses. We knew this event would be very different and it was indeed a very upscale formal event. As you can tell from the title of this post, my shoe choices dominated my dress choice.

Manolo Blahnik Hangisi vs. Valentino Rockstud Noir

I’ve been drooling over Valentino Rockstuds for years now and so they were the first shoes I grabbed to pair with this dress, the Adrianna Papell High Low Ballgown. For the dress, I wanted something a-line, and elegant but not overtly sexy (this was a work event for my husband). I wanted to dress smart and appropriate, and not stand out. This is usually how I like to play dressing for work events with my husband. The shoes, on the other hand, that is where I infuse personality and extravagance.

I was a bit worried that the shoes would be too edgy for this type of a dress, but actually, I really loved how the two paired together. Glam + Edgy is perfect for a gala concert with Steven Tyler.  I don’t know when the Manolo Blahnik Hangisis entered my mind, but I wanted to try those on as well with this dress. Specifically, I wanted to try them on in the blue, which many of you will recognize as Carrie Bradshaw’s proposal shoe from Sex And The City. Both shoes looked amazing with the dress and I don’t think one was a better match than the other, one offered a pop of edge while the other offered a vibrant pop of color.  The Manolo Blahniks were more expensive and also seemed to be more delicate than the Valentino’s so I ended up going home with the Rockstuds because I had wanted them for so long. I felt like the Valentinos would be more versatile to pair with jeans and more casual looks as well as more formal looks.

I could not stop thinking about those blue shoes though. When I went home I did not take the rockstuds out of the box to show my husband, I did not try them on again at home and I was too scared to spray them with leather protector or get them resoled (as I do with high-end shoes). I just wasn’t committing to the shoe.  I had to decide if this was just feeling intimidated at such a pricey shoe, or if it was that I felt the other shoe was the right one. After spending time online reading ‘manolo vs. valentino’ and looking at pictures online of both shoes I realized that I needed to exchange the Rockstuds for the Hangisis. I also learned that the Valentinos were just as delicate, if not more so than the Manolos – the Manolos are delicate in terms of the satin, but the structure of the shoe is much more solid.  I raced back to Nordstrom the very next day and did the exchange and when I got home I immediately sprayed them with fabric protector and I wore them around the house to wear them in. While in photos my husband preferred the Valentinos, he thought the Manolos were way better in person. The ordeal of the shoes had a lot to do with the fact that these are so, so expensive and luxurious and I knew that these may be my only pair of luxury shoes for a long time.  In fact, I only have one other pair of heels which I have in a neutral color, and wear to every event. They are the LK Bennet Sledge heals I got on Thredup. They are patent nude and go with everything but they just sort of blend into any outfit, so I’ve never felt the need to buy another pair of heels when I only wear heels 2-3 times per year. Anyways, I picked the blue shoes and could not be happier. It turns out that even though they are blue and very blingy, they are incredibly versatile. They match most of the dresses I already have in my closet, and you can pair them beautifully with ripped jeans, white tee shirt and a leather jacket for a casual glam look.

I take a size 9 in most shoes, and occasionally I size up a 1/2 size in heels, depending on the fit. I got the Manolo Hangisi in a 39.5 (which is equivalent to a size 9). They were snug fitting but did not pinch at all since the toe box is on the bigger side. The leather on the inside is incredibly supple so I knew they would stretch and mold to my foot within a few hours. I’m not a heels wearer so ‘comfort’ is usually hard for me to gauge. I can tell you that these are as comfortable a heel as I will ever wear. typically I suffer from blisters + sore feet and toes at the end of the night but with these shoes, the leather is so soft that I had no blisters or sore toes at all. The only foot pain I suffered was on the bottom of my foot from standing with my weight on my metatarsals.

I’ll also note the size I took in the Valentinos just in case you are curious. The Valentinos were also size 39.5 but felt just a touch bigger. I was told by the SA at Nordstrom that although the Valentino flats are a size up, as are most of the Rockstud shoes, these particular pumps fit bigger and are TTS. The Valentinos felt more comfortable and loose in store but I can tell that over an entire evening the Manolos are the more comfortable shoe because they are more secure on the foot, and have a wider toe box and come up higher on the foot. Neither shoes have much cushioning at the sole so I’m certain the metatarsal pain at the end of the night would have been the same either way, but having my foot more secure in the Manolos meant that my legs were less fatigued. The heel on both shoes is nicely centered below the heel and not at the edge of the back of the shoe, so your weight is evenly distributed. The pitch of the heel is about equal on both and are 4″ or 100-105mm heel height. Louboutins where not at all an option for me as they have a much harsher (and unnatural) pitch and are very uncomfortable to even seasoned heel wearers. The aesthetic of Louboutins also doesn’t suit me as well as these two heels do.

Valentino Rockstud Noir Valentino Rockstud Noir Manolo Blahnik Hangisi

I tried on the light blue Hangisis and really loved them with the dress, but the dark blue are the ones I’m in love with.

Manolo Blahnik Hangisi

I just adore these shoes and plan to wear the hell out of them both casually and dressed up. I still love the Valentino Rockstuds but the Manolo Blahniks have stolen my heart and I cannot stop looking at them.

Valentino Rockstud Noir Adrianna PapelEmbellished High/Low Ballgown Adrianna Papell High Low Ballgown

The highlight of the event for me was seeing Oprah. The celebrities all sat at a long dining table in front of the stage, and our table was about three rows behind theirs so we could see them throughout the evening, although nobody really approached them or disturbed their evening in any way. Oprah presented an award to Jimmy Pattison, a local billionare entrepeneur and philanthropist which she knows personally. I really enjoyed listening to her speak because she really truly is a powerful speaker in person. Her speech was simple and direct, and very moving. I was just in awe this event and enjoying my evening of people watching and getting a glimpse of a world I’m not a part of, and the shoes are a great memento of that evening.

1. Penny
    October 23, 2017 / 12:30 pm

I love love love the dark blue manolos with your dress! So fab!! I have been lusting over rockstuds and some gianvitos as well <3 Now if only my bank account would automatically produce a lot of money every weekend!

• Cristina
      Author
      October 23, 2017 / 12:33 pm

Ooh Gianvitos where another brand I wanted to try on but the Nordstrom in Vancouver doesn’t carry them. I would be so tempted to sell off all of my Lululemon to fund another pair of pumps, but then I’d be wearing them with my bathrobe at home and to grocery shopping. lol!

2. Anon
    October 23, 2017 / 1:41 pm

Thank you for your post! I try to wear platforms or wedges ( if not heels) every time we go out. Both of your choices are cute, but studded are more my style

• Cristina
      Author
      October 23, 2017 / 8:08 pm

I need to make an effort to do this more for date night. I do wear heeled ankle boots a lot but I need to bump it up a notch and wear these pretty heels much more often.

3. Mrs. O
    October 23, 2017 / 2:45 pm

You look beautiful in your dress and new shoes! I love both but I think you’ll get more wear out of the blue Manolos. The color just adds a bit of sophistication. I love the rockstuds too! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you’ll be invited to another big gala so you can get the rockstuds! Both look great with jeans!

• Cristina
      Author
      October 23, 2017 / 8:07 pm

Thanks Mrs. O!

4. Joanna
    October 23, 2017 / 3:41 pm

Those Carrie shoes are everything. I am so happy you chose those over the studded ones. The blue pairs perfectly with the dress. You will treasure them forever!

5. Christina
    October 23, 2017 / 3:52 pm

You look stunning! I just wanted to say I love your regular content but this was very fun to read and I appreciate the fun change of pace. Thanks for keeping up such an amazing blog!

• Cristina
      Author
      October 23, 2017 / 8:06 pm

Thank you!! I really appreciate hearing that because there is a fair bit of fear posting something like this so it’s always good to know it was a fun read for somebody.

6. October 23, 2017 / 4:03 pm

Love your post! I would have went with the Manolos too. The blue gives the outfit an extra punch. How cool that you were invited to the David Foster fundraiser!!

Partial to Pink

• Cristina
      Author
      October 23, 2017 / 8:05 pm

Thanks! Yes it was such a cool opportunity to go. I’m so glad we where invited.

7. Jenn
    October 23, 2017 / 7:18 pm

Cristina, you look fabulous! The dress is gorgeous!!!! What size did you get? Same as in LLL, 10? The Manolos shoes are amazing. I’ve been drooling over Louis Vuitton EYELINE PUMP ( http://ca.louisvuitton.com/eng-ca/products/eyeline-pump-008966#462079 ) in either, black, nude or bordeaux. I had a chance to try them on, and didn’t want to take them off. Hoping to get them for my birthday 😉 Thanks for the post. Love it 🙂

• Cristina
      Author
      October 23, 2017 / 7:58 pm

Thanks!! I got it in a 12, and I think it fits like a 10 around the bust. My dresses are usually a size 10, but even my other sequinned ‘fancy’ dress that is a 10 has stretch to it while this one has zero stretch.

• Cristina
      Author
      October 23, 2017 / 8:05 pm

OMG those louis Vuitton pumps are gorgeous! I would have the exact same dilemma as you on colors. The bordeaux catches my eye the most. Bordeaux or Nude are my choices.

• Mrs. O
      October 25, 2017 / 8:33 am

My two cents, if you splurge, go for the bordeaux. You can always find a decent nude or black pump that won’t break the bank. But you won’t find a killer color like bordeaux.

• Chris
      October 25, 2017 / 9:54 am

Dont do it! LV is notorious for having poorly constructed shoes (example: the full heel has come off several pairs of LV heels on the very first wear).

• Jenn
        October 25, 2017 / 8:45 pm

Thanks ladies for your suggestions. Mr.O, I was thinking the same thing. I’m leaning toward Bordeaux more since they’re so unique in colour. Chris, I have another pair of LV heels and have never experienced any problems. Hopefully, I won’t have any issues with these new ones. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

8. Alicia Yang
    October 23, 2017 / 7:54 pm

You look GORGEOUS in that dress and I love your shoe choices. Like you, I have been drooling over Valentino rock studs for years but never made the plunge. The rockstuds can’t be beaten for the edgy factor but that Manolos are to die for. I would suggest the rockstuds in a different colour the next time you get funds for expensive shoes.

October 23, 2017 / 8:00 pm

Thank you so much!! Another factor that went in to returning the rockstuds is what shoe would a prefer in a flat vs. heel. I always wanted the rockstud noir in flats, so I figured the Manolos where more of a high heel shoe and if I ever get the chance to own rockstuds I’d get them in flats.

October 23, 2017 / 8:02 pm

^Not logged in under my name but this is Cristina BTW.

• Mrs. O
      October 25, 2017 / 8:42 am

That’s a great idea getting them in a different color. I’ve always been partial to the Rockstud Asymmetric Pump or Cross-Strap Pump.

9. Julie
    October 23, 2017 / 7:59 pm

How gorgeous you are! Love your shoe choice!

• Cristina
      Author
      October 23, 2017 / 8:01 pm

You are to lovely! Thank you!

October 23, 2017 / 8:17 pm

I love this subject by the way, more posts about shoes 😉

The dress looks perfect on you. You should get the valentinos as well, I love them!!

11. jenny
    October 23, 2017 / 8:57 pm

WOW! You look Gorg! I love the dress and i triple love the shoes! I am a Valentino fan and still drooling over the heels and the rockstud tote. It’s on my wish list! You look beautiful!

October 24, 2017 / 12:23 pm

I am glad you got the blue shoes. It may sound counterintuitive, but for a splurge of that magnitude, I think it’s better to go for the “less practical” shoes. The black shoes are lovely, but the blue shoes are truly special and I bet you felt like a million bucks in them!

13. Sarah Gordon
    October 24, 2017 / 6:36 pm

I agree with your choice of the Manolos and having a really special shoe. I have a pair of Manolos that I wore once to a party and then with jeans afterwards – I love them particularly with jeans and a crisp white shirt. I smile just looking at them in the closet – memories, beauty and footwear all rolled into one. Thanks for the “off-topic” post!

14. Megan Zernicke
    October 24, 2017 / 7:14 pm

Lovvve the Rockstuds with that dress – you look gorgeous!!

15. Mrs. O
    October 25, 2017 / 8:44 am

What leather spray do you use? I need to find a good one to spray some of my pumps and booties.