Today’s class was Clean and Jerks. We did a lot of technical work on Tuesday on the jerk part of the lift which is technically more difficult, so today was mostly power clean and jerk, and not too heavy. Power means that you are not catching the bar in a deeper full squat but you are catching it higher and landing in ‘power position’. I find the power cleans easier than cleans. We usually alternate power clean and jerk, clean and jerk but for some reason today we only did power.  Power cleans are easier to me because I find getting down into a deep squat and catching the bar lower takes a lot of warmup and mental preparedness, and catching the bar in power position usually means it’s lighter therefore you can catch it higher. I was the only girl in class today out of five of us so it wasn’t as socially exciting, but I enjoyed it anyways and got to work through a few of my issues with my lifts.

I really hate having my camera out for class so I do it discreetly, and I also try to only do it for a few moments so that it’s not a distraction for me and for others. The footage you see is not going to be my best or favourite lift of the day because of it but you will get a little peek at what an oly lifting class is like and it will give my post a little bit of interesting content (I hope!).

Align Crops, Heathered Dark Cobalt Cool Racerback (WMTM), Lorna Jane sports bra (no longer available), Nike Romaleo 2

1. Samantha
    January 15, 2017 / 12:06 am

I love your lulu posts, but I'm also loving this content as well. Nice lift!

• Lulumum
      January 15, 2017 / 12:28 am

Thanks!!

January 15, 2017 / 12:17 am

Would love it if you also incorporated what you were wearing while lifting, even shoes etc! Also perhaps nutrition before and after might be cool too? Thanks

• Lulumum
      January 15, 2017 / 12:25 am

Great idea! Thanks! I'll update these posts. I'll for sure add my nutrition stuff on my next post – I'm in the thick of it with whole 30 and I'm trying not to think of it too much.

3. January 15, 2017 / 12:45 am

I don't like weightlifting at all anymore, but I really seeing this. It adds dimension to your blog. Very cool! And you're strong, which is always awesome to see.n

• Lulumum
      January 15, 2017 / 5:31 pm

I'm so curious what turned you off of weightlifting? What is your preferred workout these days?

January 15, 2017 / 12:57 am

I do a lot of heavy lifting , squats, lunges, etc. haven't tried this yet, but looks cool and very technique sensitive . As far as nutrition goes , my trainer told me to get at least 1-1.5grams of protein per pound of body weight. I'm on carb cycling diet. What is your regiment? Tnx!

• Lulumum
      January 15, 2017 / 5:30 pm

Thats what I love most about it. It's extremely technique sensitive. Oly lifters fail at 50% of their lifts and it's because it is so sensitive to precision of position. You really have to think through all of your lifts, but also not overthink them so that you lose focus.
      I'm not an example for nutrition – I'm trying to lose fat so I'm doing the Whole 30 mostly to break me of my strong bad habits which are relying on coconut milk lattes for calories, not eating until noon and basically killing my metabolism. I'm getting a lot of protein on Whole 30 so I'm sure I'm at that 1-1.5grams of protein per pound. This time doing whole 30 I'm not avoiding starchy carbs so we'll see if I lose fat on it. My next round I may alter the carbs.

5. January 15, 2017 / 1:50 am

WOW! I loved these new posts. I don't know much about olympic lifting and I've been curious when you've mentioned it before. It's cool to see what it's about. You are amazing!!!

• Lulumum
      January 15, 2017 / 5:26 pm

I was really worrying about how I would write about Oly lifting but I just decided that I'd focus on providing a view of it to people that don't know much about it, or are curious as to how the classes differ from a crossfit classs. This isn't going to be stat filled post.

January 15, 2017 / 3:27 am

Love it! Are you still running at all?

• Lulumum
      January 15, 2017 / 5:22 pm

No I'm not. I just don't love running. I love feeling accomplished after running a certain distance, and I love feeling condition to run beyond 3 miles, but I don't love it like I do other workouts.

January 15, 2017 / 2:28 pm

My hat off to you. I do Bodypump three times a week, but would not dream of lifting the weight you do. I realize Olympic lifting is different and it's great to see and read about the different technics. You are strong!!! I love how you detail what you wear too.

January 15, 2017 / 3:50 pm

This is a very nice addition to your blog, LLM! I love it. I'm a CF-er myself and totally agree with you on Power Clean. I also would like to add that you gave me hope on wearing Align crop to Oly. Haha! Definitely going to wear mine tomorrow! Great blog!

• Lulumum
      January 15, 2017 / 5:24 pm

lol! I don't mind wearing my Aligns because they are the first version of aligns and they are so rough that I can't wear them casually at all. Pilled on the inner leg, at the upper outer leg etc. But they actually haven't gotten scuffed up from the bar so I wouldn't worry too much if they where new aligns. They are very comfortable. Compression is nice though when we do broad jumps.

9. January 15, 2017 / 6:14 pm

Fun to watch. You are amazing & love the new blog. Keep up the hard work! Thanks

January 15, 2017 / 9:04 pm

Way to represent, Lulumum – you are strong and look great! I know very little about Olympic lifting and I like reading about it here and from your point of view. I know it is gaining popularity among women but I only know one person who practices it, through the yoga studio I go to.

Good for you as well for taking the time to capture your lifts and share. I can imagine it is a bit of a distraction for you when you want to focus on your lifts and precision; it's clear you are sensitive to those around you.

I look forward to reading more about your Oly lifting and other topics you want to share. I know the blog is hard work of another kind, too.

January 15, 2017 / 9:09 pm

PS – sorry, clarifying my confusing sentence on the woman I know who practices Oly lifting. I mean that I know her through the yoga studio, not that the studio offers it. Yoga is powerful but that would be a whole other angle!haha

11. January 15, 2017 / 11:24 pm

I'm on a self-imposed lulu ban for the next 6 months (or longer if they continue putting out all the drab!) so I've been staying away from updates and the blogs, but I'll definitely be back to check out your lifting posts! I train CF style at home, but I've been playing around with the idea of an oly lifting class to perfect my technique. Thanks for posting!!

12. January 16, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Awesome lifting posts!!! love love love! I bet a lot of lulu lovers are very inspired by you sharing 🙂 we need more lifters in the world!

January 16, 2017 / 8:16 pm

I LOVE the new layout of the blog and totally diggin the OL stuff…..!!!

14. January 17, 2017 / 8:37 pm

Nutrition wise (read some comments not all) http://www.injafit.com/ is near you- not my coach I work with Brooke erickson (https://www.instagram.com/brookeericksonfitness/?hl=en) also amazing but injafit is located in BC so Canadian dollar and I attended a retreat with them last year and it was incredible, so if nutrition wise you ever want help locking it in, with balance for sustainability, and rehabbing any metabolic issues- it's worth looking into them (Or brooke) – one of the best investments I ever made.